Dr. Sreekumar is an adjunct professor in Humanities and Liberal Arts in Management at Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIMK). He is the Chief Learning Officer of IIMK. During 2007-2008, he served on sabbatical as Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Computer Science & Information Technology of the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. He was a Fulbright Scholar (Information Science and Technology) at the University of Maryland and at the NIH, Bethesda. He holds a Ph.D. from the University of Calicut. He is a gold medalist of the University of Kerala for his Bachelor’s Degree and obtained his Masters Degree from the University of Madras, and later he qualified the UGC Lectureship. He has received several awards and honours and prominent among them include the Best Research Paper Award, International Conference on Digital Libraries and Knowledge Organization (ICDK) 2011, American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIST), Salzburg, Hewlett-Packard (HP), SATKAL and MANLIBNET. At IIMK Dr. Sreekumar leads several national and international projects and programmes. He has been a consultant to WHO, UNESCO, NSF Colombo, Coir Board, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences and several other Universities and Institutions. Dr. Sreekumar sits in the editorial boards of several national and international journals on digital libraries and information science. He is also a peer-reviewer and referee to some of the reputed and indexed journals. He is a research guide in the Bharatiar University. Dr. Sreekumar is the UNESCO Coordinator of the Greenstone Software for the South Asia Region. A widely traveled professional, Dr. Sreekumar has conducted courses, seminars and workshops in the USA, UK, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Ethiopia, Austria, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Philippines and Thailand.
- Ph.D in LIS, University of Calicut
- University of Maryland , USA (Fulbright Fellowship)
- MEDLINE Department, National Library of Medicine, USA (Fulbright Fellowship)
- UGC (NET) Lectureship in LIS
- MLIS, University of Madras
- BLISc., University of Kerala (University First and Gold Medalist of the University of Kerala, and the Kerala Library Association)
- B.Sc., University of Kerala
Awards & Honours
- Best Research Paper Award, International Conference on "Digital Libraries and Knowledge Organization (ICDK 2011)", 14 February 2011, MDI, Gurgaon (http://www.mdi.ac.in/icdk/Home.html).
- MANLIBNET Award (2008) - (Management Libraries Network).
- Salzburg Scholarship (2007)(http://www.salzburgseminar.org), Austria , March 2007
- UNESCO Invited Speaker, WSIS Follow-up Conference on Access to Information and Knowledge for Development, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, organized by the UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) (2006)
- Hewlett-Packard Scholarship for DSpace User Meet and the Open Repositories 2006 at the University of Sydney, Australia (2006)
- Winner, ASIST SIG III International paper contest (2005)
- SATKAL Award (2004) (SATKAL Trust, Punjabi University)
- Fulbright Fellowship (1996-97) at the University of Maryland at College Park; and at the National Library of Medicine, NLM (NIH), USA (http://www.fulbright-india.org) .
- Gold Medal - University First for BLISc - University of Kerala
- Gold Medal - Kerala Library Association
Projects & Consultancy
- A Single-Sign on digital library information system at the University of Malaya using open source softwares, open standards and open digital library technologies.
- Development of a state-of-art Institutional Repository at the Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology, University of Malaya using DSpace Open Source Software.
- Digital Library in Management at IIMK, Ministry of HRD, Gov
- Electronic Access Control and E-Security Systems at IIM Kozhikode, Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India (2002)
- E-Learning Platform for doctors and the biomedical fraternity in India , funded by WHO (2002) ( http://www.medinfoguide.net/)
- AIMS E-Journal of the Association of Indian Management Schools (2003)
- Coir Board Information Portal for the Coir Board, Govt. of India (2005)
- Digital Library Consultancy: IIITMK Thiruvananthapuram, Coir Board Cochin , GITAM Engineering College Visakhapatnam , IMG Thiruvananthapuram
- Founding Member and Coordinator, IIM Library Consortium
- Chief Architect, IIMK's Institutional Repositories
( http://dspace.iimk.ac.in/; http://eprints.iimk.ac.in/)
- UNESCO Coordinator, Greenstone Digital Library Software Support Network for South Asia ( http://greenstonesupport.iimk.ac.in/)
- IIM Kozhikode (http://www.iimk.ac.in/) - 2008 -
- Visiting Professor, University of Malaya, Malaysia - 2007-2008
- IIM Kozhikode (http://www.iimk.ac.in/) - 1997-2007
- TB Research Center (ICMR) Madras - 1992-1997
- RRL (CSIR) Thiruvananthapuram - 1981-1992
Coordination of Training Programmes / Workshops / Seminars, and Mentoring
- Programme Director, MDP on Knowledge Management (http://iimk.ac.in/km2011), 19-20 September 2011, Dubai. (Upcoming)
- Invited Plenary Speaker (4 sessions), International Conference ICLAMS, 29-30 August 2011, Manila, Philippines. (Upcoming)
- Fulbright Delegate, Workshop on "Building Partnerships", USIEF (Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships), USIEF Chennai, February 24-25, 2011.
- Chair, Session on "Information Management using Web 2.0/3.0 Technologies", International Conference on "Digital Libraries and Knowledge Organization (ICDK 2011)", 16 February 2011, MDI, Gurgaon.
- Resource Person, UNESCO Sponsored Workshop on "Digital Libraries", International Conference on "Digital Libraries and Knowledge Organization (ICDK 2011)", 14 February 2011, MDI, Gurgaon (http://www.mdi.ac.in/icdk/Workshops%20&%20 Tutorials.html).
- Resource Person, "Knowledge Management", 04 February 2011, Defence Services Staff College , Wellington.
- Keynote Speaker, "Digital Libraries and DL Initiatives at IIM Kozhikode", UGC Symposium on "Digital Library Initiatives in", 24 January 2011, University of Madras.
- Invited Speaker, "IPR and Security Aspects of Institutional Repositories", National Workshop on Design and development of Digital Libraries using DSpace, 06 January 2011, University of Calicut.
- Keynote Speaker, "Digital Rights Management", National Seminar on "Intellectual Property and Digital Rights Management", National Institute of Technology , Calicut , 26-27 November 2010.
- Programme Director and Chief Faculty, Management Development Programme on 'E2.0 : Enterprise-wide Knowledge Management'. August 16-18, 2010. IIM Kozhikode.
- Keynote Speaker, 'Managing Consortia for Small Libraries', NACLIN-2010, DELNET, BITS-Pilani, Goa Campus, Goa, June 15-18, 2010.
- Faculty, 8-Day Workshop on Greenstone & KOHA, HealthNet Nepal, Katmandu, Nepal, 8-15 May 2010.
- Invited Speaker, 'Scientific Productivity and Research Impact Enhancement through Scholarly Journal Articles : The Open Access approach', National Workshop on Enhancing Quality in Research Publications, April 22, 2010, Christ University, Bangalore.
- Faculty, 3-Day Workshop on KOHA Open Source ILMS Software, March 11-13, 2010. Dept. of Library & Information Science, University of Madras.
- Invited Speaker, Newspaper Digital Libraries, IFLA International Newspaper Conference, Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) & IFLA, New Delhi, February 25-28, 2010
- Faculty, 'Library Development Programme', January 29-30, 2010, School of Management and Commerce, Ahmedabad University.
- Keynote Speaker, National Workshop on Building and Managing Digital Repository Using DSpace. January 30, 2010. Kadi Sarva Viswavidyalaya, Gandhinagar, Gujarat. (http://www.workshop.skpatel.org/keynotes.htm)
- Invited Speaker, ‘ONGC Library Network Meet’, January 9, 2010. ONGC Chennai.
- Invited Speaker, 'Recent Advances in Information Science & Technology READIT-2009', December 29, 2009. IGCAR, Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu. (http://library.igcar.gov.in/readit2009/readit2009.html)
- Invited Speaker, 'Training Programme on Digital Library Software & Content Management', December 09, 2009. Naval Physical & Oceanographic Laboratory (DRDO), Cochin, Kerala.
- Workshop Director & Chief Faculty, 6-Day International Workshop on Greenstone Digital Libraries, IIM Kozhikode, November 23 - 28, 2009. (http://iimk.ac.in/fdp/fdp09/pdf/FDP10.pdf).
- Invited Speaker, International Conference on Knowledge Management, Aravind Eye Care System, Madurai, India, 10 October 2009.
- Chief Faculty for the 5-Day National Workshop on DSpace jointly organized by HP India, INFLIBNET and the Cochin University of Science and Technology, 20-24 April, 2009 (http://www.dspaceworkshop.com/).
- Faculty for the Pre-Conference Tutorial on .Web Content Management Systems., International CALIBER 2009, INFLIBNET/UGC, 25-27 February 2009, Pondicherry University (http://www.inflibnet.ac.in/caliber2009/speakers.html).
- Invited Theme Speaker on .Open Source Technologies for Libraries., National Workshop on Library 2.0, 5-6 February 2009, Physical Research Laboratory (PRL), Ahmedabad (http://www.prl.res.in/~library/Website/main_frame.htm).
- Chief Faculty, 4-Day Regional Workshop on Greenstone, University of Malaya, Malaysia, 12-15 May 2008 (http://greenstonesupport.iimk.ac.in/brochure-Gsdl08.pdf).
- Chief Faculty, 5-Day Workshop on Greenstone for beginners, UNECA/UNESCO, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia April 2008.
- Chief Faculty, 3-Day Workshop on Greenstone for experts, UNECA/UNESCO, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia April 2008.
- Invited Plenary Speaker. 2nd Special Library Conference (SLib2008), 18-20 February 2008, Petronas, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Chief Faculty, 5-Day International Workshop on Greenstone, IIM Kozhikode, November 26 - December 01, 2008 (http://www.iimk.ac.in/fdp07/FDPBrochures/PDF/WGDLS26Nov07.pdf)
- Chief Faculty, International Workshop on Greenstone, organized by the UNESCO and the National Science Foundation (NSF) Sri Lanka at Colombo, 21-24 March 2007
- Chair, Session on 'Information Management', International Conference on Libraries, Information and Society 2007, 26-27 June, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (http://www.fsktm.um.edu.my/icolis2007/mainpage/mainpage.htm).
- Chair, Session on 'Institutional Repositories and Case Studies', International Conference on Semantic Web and Digital Libraries (ICSD-2007), DRTC (ISI), Bangalore, India, 21-23, 2007 ( http://drtc.isibang.ac.in/icsd/);( http://drtc.isibang.ac.in/icsd/icsd-files/icsd-programme_latest_feb19_final.pdf).
- Chief Faculty, Regional Workshop on Greenstone digital libraries
( http://dodd.cmcvellore.ac.in/rwgsdl/index.html), organized by the Madras Library Association (MALA) and the Christian Medical College at CMC Vellore, 8-10 February 2007.
- The Chief Coordinator and co-faculty, International Workshop on Greenstone DL software
( http://www.iimk.ac.in/FDPBrochures/PDF/UIIWGSnov27.pdf) supported by UNESCO and Government of India, at IIMK (November 27- December 02, 2006)
( http://greenstonesupport.iimk.ac.in/) in which 40 professionals from India , South Asian countries and Germany participated.
- A tutorial on Greenstone Digital Library was given along with Prof. Ian H Witten, the founder and chief architect of the software at the International Conference on Digital Libraries (ICDL 2006) in which over 500 librarians, information and computer science professionals have participated from across the world ( http://static.teriin.org/events/icdl/day1.htm).
- Over 20 national level workshops on Digital Libraries, E-Publishing, Institutional Repositories and Medical Informatics
- National Coordinator, VII MANLIBNET Convention 2005, IIMK, Kozhikode
- Resource Person for several DL / IR workshops in India/abroad
- Library Advisory Committee Member, GITAM University, Visakhapattanam
- Advisory Committee Member for several Universities/Institutions on Digital Libraries, Curriculum Development and on E-Learning Projects.
- Over 40 research papers in national and international journals, conference proceedings and books; and co- edited a Book.
- Latest 1. .An Architecture for Efficient Resource Discovery with Metadata Harvesting in a Multidisciplinary Distributed Repository., International Journal of Konwledge, Culture and Change Management, Vol. 8, 2008.
- Latest 2."Open Access: The New Frontier Connecting the Learning Commons through Hassle-free and Seamless Scholarly Communication". World Digital Libraries 1(1): 61.75. 2008.
Professional/Editorial Contributions to Journals/Publications
- Member, Editorial Board, World Digital Libraries: An International Journal., TERI, New Delhi (http://bookstore.teriin.org/journal_inside.php?material_id=477&qty=1)
- Member, Editorial Board, Malaysian Journal of Library and Information Science (http://ejum.fsktm.um.edu.my/VolumeListing.aspx?JournalID=3).
- Peer Reviewer, DESIDOC Journal of Library & Information Technology, DESIDOC (DRDO), New Delhi.
- Peer Reviewer, Annals of Library Science and Documentation. NISCAIR (CSIR), New Delhi.
Professional Visits Abroad
|1. USA (1996-97, and 2003)
||2. United Kingdom
|4. Hong Kong
||8. New Zealand
||12. Sri Lanka
Membership in Professional Bodies
- American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIST)
- Kerala Library Association (KLA)
- Madras Library Association (MALA)
- Computer Society of India (CSI)
- Association of Asia Pacific Business School Librarians (APBSL)
- Management Libraries Network (MANLIBNET)